13 August 2010

Fiery & Yellows

While below the dam at Saylorville earlier today, I noticed 10+ skippers bopping around an area of mowed grass.  Upon closer inspection, I found that they were FIERY SKIPPERS:  


For more info on where exactly I had them, see the below map:
View Fiery Skippers in a larger map


It was only last September that I saw my very first Fiery Skipper up at Jester Park (thanks Aaron).  The ones last September perched nicely with wings open though, something I didn't see today.  Here is one from last fall:  



Then later today near Jester Park, I noticed a swarm of smaller "sulphur things".  The first perched one I saw was this ratty individual.  I was certain it was a LITTLE YELLOW:

And yes, alas, I managed to find another less-ratty butterfly actually perched.  Clearly they were all LITTLE YELLOWS, probably 10-20 individuals:

No comments:

Post a Comment