10 February 2011

Butterflies from south Texas

Because it's been so long since I've posted on this blog, I've decided to revisit my old photos and post from random travels.  This way I'll have something to do instead of working on my thesis!  Whoops.

For example, this post will be devoted to the butterflies I've seen in south Texas.

Because I've been interested in butterflies for so much less time than birds, almost all my butterfly photos from Texas come from only Estero Llano Grande State Park and Bentsen - Rio Grande Valley State Park which I visited in March, 2009.

One of the few butterflies I was actually able to identify right away was this dark and unique skipper known as the MAZANS SCALLOPWING:

Much less unique was this very bland EUFALA SKIPPER:

I was very eager to see some longtails in Texas and eventually I stumbled on a couple at Estero Llano Grande.  Here is a BROWN LONGTAIL:


I wasn't aware at the time that some of the longtails can actually be pretty tough to identify!  After studying my photos, I thought this was a TELEUS LONGTAIL:

Relaxing in the shade at Roma Bluffs was this CAROLINA SATYR.  This species was fairly common throughout the trip, often found in weedy and roadside areas:

One of the species I was most eager to see in Texas was the MEXICAN BLUEWING.  When you see it closed-winged and perched on the trunk of a tree, like in the below photo, it looks completely bland:

However, when it opens up, it's truly stunning:

Lacking on the "stunning" chart was this drab and somewhat bleached PHAON CRESCENT:

Another species I spotted at Estero was this DUSTED SKIPPER.  Unfortunately for me, I was already familiar with this species from western Nebraska.

That's all for now.  Stay tuned for more butterfly photos from the past.....

No comments:

Post a Comment