12 April 2011

Eleven species

Butterfly season must be off to a faster start than I had thought!  We spent an enjoyable couple of hours today butterflying at Elk Rock State Park in Marion County, Iowa:
View Elk Rock State Park in a larger map

We quickly saw a lot of butterfly activity, especially with SPRING AZURES.  We ended the day with more than 30 different ones; here is one of the first we bumped into:

Although not sharp at all, it was still fun to capture this azure in flight:

I was excited to find this somewhat-early COMMON CHECKERED-SKIPPER:

The next butterfly we stumbled into was my target for the day, HENRY'S ELFIN.  It wasn't more than a couple minutes before we saw 8-10 of these guys:


The next butterfly we found was a somewhat expected EASTERN COMMA:

Stopping briefly for some wildflowers, I snapped this photo of DUTCHMAN'S BREECHES (Dicentra cucullaria):

The next bug I bumped into was the most unexpected of the day, an AMERICAN SNOUT:
I'm not up on my snout records for Iowa but according to the book I use, this sighting is a whole month and a half early.

Last but not least, we found this COMMON BUCKEYE, another very early individual:


Below the dam at Red Rock, I saw a distant large, dark butterfly flying along the back of the dam.  I snapped some VERY distant photos.  After major cropping, it looks like the butterfly is a BLACK SWALLOWTAIL:



We ended the day with 11 different species of butterflies.  They were:

Black Swallowtail
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Henry's Elfin
Spring Azure
Eastern Comma
Mourning Cloak
Red Admiral
Common Buckeye
American Snout
Common Checkered-Skipper

No comments:

Post a Comment