06 July 2011

Missouri

I took some photos of bugs in northeastern Missouri earlier this week.

First is a wasp at Riverview Park in Hannibal that looks like a THREAD-WAISTED WASP:

I was happy to find several COBRA CLUBTAILS at Riverview Park in Hannibal:



Ashley's folks' house had a lot of activity thanks to the flowers outside.

LITTLE WOOD-SATYR:

LITTLE GLASSYWING:

PEARL CRESCENT:

GREAT SPANGLED FRITILLARY:

I thought it was remarkably distinct but I'm pretty sure this skipper is a LITTLE GLASSYWING:

The following two shots are definitely LITTLE GLASSYWING:


QUESTION MARK:




There were several other species of butterflies in the yard that I didn't end up photographing.  These included:

Giant Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Spicebush Swallowtail
Orange/Clouded sulphur
Eastern Tailed-Blue
Summer Azure
Monarch
Hackberry Emperor
Silver-spotted Skipper

There were several species of dragonflies around as well:

BLUE DASHER:

PRINCE BASKETTAIL:

EASTERN AMBERWING:


COMMON WHITETAIL:

Back at home in Ames, I found this damselfly on my back porch.  I'm not the greatest with these guys but think it's a SPRINGWATER DANCER:

No comments:

Post a Comment