25 July 2011

Polk City WA

There was a lot of activity at Polk City WA midday today.

I ended with 20 species of butterflies.

First, here are some pictures of a HACKBERRY EMPEROR:


Alongside the emperors were many RED-SPOTTED PURPLES:


Anglewings were out in force; here is a QUESTION MARK:

... and an EASTERN COMMA:


I was surprised to find some CHECKERED WHITES, not a species I see very often:



Besides the abundant Least Skippers, the only other skipper I saw was this FIERY SKIPPER:


My list of butterflies from the visit:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Giant Swallowtail - 2
Cabbage White
Checkered White - 3
Clouded Sulphur
Orange Sulphur
Bronze Copper
Eastern Tailed-Blue
Summer Azure
Great Spangled Fritillary
Question Mark
Eastern Comma
Red Admiral
Common Buckeye
Red-spotted Purple
Viceroy
Hackberry Emperor
Monarch
Fiery Skipper
Least Skipper

There was also a lot of dragonfly activity and I ended up with 13 species.  First up are the always-airborne PRINCE BASKETTAILS:


A highlight for me was finding this SPOT-WINGED GLIDER:

In summary, here are the dragonflies I tallied:

Jade Clubtail
Prince Baskettail
Common Whitetail
Twelve-spotted Skimmer
Widow Skimmer
Eastern Amberwing
Halloween Pennant
Eastern Pondhawk
Meadowhawk species
Red Saddlebags
Black Saddlebags
Wandering Glider
Spot-winged Glider

I never could stir up a BLUE DASHER until I got home and found some along the trail.

c.

No comments:

Post a Comment